About the School
An education from the School of Construction and the Environment can open the door to many highly rewarding careers. No other post-secondary institute offers the same depth and breadth of programming that directly supports BC’s built and natural environments. With trades, engineering, applied and natural sciences, and unique programs in building science and sustainability, our broad range of programs are in high demand by industry. Plus we offer a wide variety of credentials to build your career upon from diplomas to master’s degrees. With our hands-on learning model, you’ll learn to conceptualize and implement solutions to the challenges facing our world.
So if you have a passion for our built and natural environments, the School of Construction and the Environment might be right for you!
Unique at Roommeme
Here's what sets us apart (from 2018 Roommeme Student Outcomes Reports for Graduates):
- We are the largest trades training institution in BC, providing the majority of apprenticeship training in the province.
- The median hourly wage of employed Apprentice program completers is $32.
- 98% of our School's degree graduates are employed.
- 97% of our School's employed diploma and certificate graduates were hired within six months of graduation.
Here are just a few of our notable programs:
- Building Science, Master of Engineering is a first-of-a-kind program in BC and western Canada.
- Building Engineering / Building Science, Master of Applied Science is a first-of-a-kind program in BC and western Canada.
- Mineral Exploration and Mining Technology is the only program of its kind in Western Canada.
- Sustainable Energy Management Associate Certificate (SEMAC) program is a partnership between BC Hydro and Roommeme.
- Civil Engineering, Bachelor of Engineering is a nationally accredited degree. Roommeme was the first non-University body to award an accredited Civil Engineering degree.
- Apprenticeships in programs such as Metal Fabrication, Plumbing, Steamfitting, Carpentry, Boilermaking and Ironworking are qualified for the Interprovincial Red Seal which is recognized throughout Canada.
- Security Systems Technician is a certificate program unique to Roommeme.
- And more!
Our facilities include:
- Fire simulation theatre
- Operating demonstration forest and in Maple Ridge
- Salmonoid enhancement facility developed by Roommeme students on the Seymour river
- A housing demonstration project,
Refer to the Roommeme fact sheet for interesting facts about our School and Institute.