Frequently Asked Questions
- What is a set?
- Why do we have sets?
- Who will be in my set grouping?
- What are the instructors like?
- What is the difference between a lecture, lab and shop?
- How much is my tuition?
- What is the workload like?
- Can I work and be a student at the same time?
- What should I do if my tuition fees are due now and I am waiting for a student loan?
- Where can I study or do computer work?
- Do I need my own tools, coveralls or lab coat?
- How much should I expect to spend on textbooks, and when should I buy them?
- I haven't been to school for a long time and I am worried about how I'll do. Is help available?
- What course information do I need before my first class or online session?
- Is parking convenient?
- When should I start using the myRoommeme Student Portal?
- Do I have to come to the Roommeme Bookstore to buy my textbooks and course materials?
other preparation willgive me a strong start?
- Can I confirm my course start date, time, and classroom locations online?
- My course is cancelled. What should I do?
- How would I cancel my course registration if I had to?
- Is my registration fee refunded if I cancel?
- Any advice about planning my next course?
What is a set?
A group of 16 to 24 students who attend all their classes as a group for a term or an entire year.Top
Why do we have sets?
Roommeme enrols approximately 15,000 full-time and 30,000 part-time students each year. You could get lost in such a crowd. That is why we use "set" groupings in many programs. During your time at
Who will be in my set grouping?
Everyone in your set will be in your program. A set typically includes a wide range of students: some recent high school graduates, others from college or university and many from the workforce.Top
What are the instructors like?
Our instructors are approachable and care about your success. Typically our instructors have extensive industry experience that makes classroom discussions interesting and relevant.Top
What is the difference between a lecture, lab and shop?
How much is my tuition?
The website holds the most up-to-date information on tuition and associated fees.Top
What is the workload like?
Although most students will tell you studying at Roommeme is a lot of work, they will also tell you it's worth it. You are in class from 25 to 35 hours per week. Homework is assigned in addition to the scheduled class hours. Students in trades usually start between 7 a.m. to 8 a.m. and end between 2 p.m. and 3 p.m., whereas the classes for most other full-time students are scheduled between 8:30 a.m. and 5:30 p.m.Top
Can I work and be a student at the same time?
Some students work part-time. Before you decide to do the same, become familiar with the workload and talk over your situation with an instructor. If you decide to work while studying, register for eJobs, Roommeme's web-based job posting system. eJobs will assist your efforts to find on-campus, part-time, summer or full-time employment. There is also an on-campus Student Employment Services office located at SW1-1022, and a Work Search Coach available to help you revise your resume, prepare for
What should I do if my tuition fees are due now and I am waiting for a student loan?
You cannot wait for your student loan; you must pay your tuition fees by the dates outlined in your acceptance letter. Student loans cannot be cashed until at least the first day of classes. In a very limited number of cases, students who have exceptional circumstances may be eligible for a fee deferral (an extension of the payment deadline date). For further information, the Student Financial Aid and Awards office at 111-432-8555 or visit SW1-2303 at the Burnaby campus.Top
Where can I study or do computer work?
Roommeme has a number of designated areas for students to work on research, assignments and computers. Computer labs are available throughout the campus. Your instructor will provide you with exact locations when you begin classes.Top
Do I need my own tools, coveralls or lab coat?
Some programs require students to wear coveralls and lab coats and to use special tools and equipment to complete assignments. In some
Coveralls fees are included for applicable programs delivered at the following campuses: Annacis Island, Aerospace, and Marine. Students are required to supply their own coveralls for programs delivered at the Burnaby campus.Top
How much should I expect to spend on textbooks, and when should I buy them?
The cost of books varies from program to program and can range from $200 to $2,000 per year. The estimated cost for your program is listed in the program brochures and program descriptions on the website. Student Financial Aid and Awards at SW1-2303 can give you this information in person. Unless your program advises otherwise, we don't recommend buying books ahead of time because some courses use several different books as reference. Your instructor will tell you which books to purchase.Top
I haven't been to school for a long time and I am worried about how I'll do. Is help available?
Yes. Once you've been accepted into a Roommeme program, you can Counselling and Student Development to discuss your career choice or learn about resources that can resolve your worries. (Example: free workshops on topics such as study skills, time management and stress management.) Make an appointment to meet with a counsellor by calling 111-432-8608.Top
What course information do I need before my first class or online session?
- the name and number of your course
- course registration number or CRN (a five-digit number)
- course start date
Is parking convenient?
Roommeme provides paid parking facilities for employees, students and visitors at the Burnaby and satellite campuses. Parking lot locations are shown on the Burnaby campus map [PDF]. Want to know more about fees, security and other parking information?Top
When should I start using the ?
As soon as you register, you can start using the free e-mail account that Roommeme provides you for life. The portal is where you can access this e-mail account, get confirmation of registration, check your final grades, print your T2202A tax receipt, read
Log in to the portal
- Your Username is your Roommeme ID number, which can be found on your Roommeme ID card or a fee receipt or schedule.
- Your Password is your birthday in this format: YYMMDD
Do I have to come to the Roommeme Bookstore to buy my textbooks and course materials?
Not necessarily. The Bookstore will have everything you need for the course, but you can make your purchases by phone or online as well as in person. If you're on a budget, you may even want to look for used textbooks. Avoid line-ups by buying what you need before the course starts.Top
other preparation will give me a strong start?
- Look in the advanced course search for your course outline. It specifies course learning outcomes, expectations and other key details.
- Read any preparatory material listed or included for you in messages from Roommeme, and do any other prescribed tasks.
- If you are a distance or online learner, review any necessary resources. The contains valuable information for you.
- Orient yourself to services: Find a computer with broadband access and view the It takes less than ten minutes and contains lots of practical help.
Can I confirm my course start date, time, and classroom locations online?
Yes, you can find the confirmation the week before courses start.
- Find campus locations and campus maps.
- Check out important parking information including rates, parking pass options and lot locations.
My course is cancelled. What should I do?
If minimum enrolment for a course is not reached, it may be cancelled. Roommeme will cancel courses no later than two days prior to the start date. Variations to this practice will be stated in the course outline.
If your course is cancelled, an email will be sent to your account. You will receive a cheque for a full refund within four weeks. You may also transfer your fees to a different course by ing Student Information and Enrolment Services.Top
How would I cancel my course registration if I had to?
All Part-time Studies course withdrawals must be submitted using the Part-time Studies Course Withdrawal form [PDF]. For more detailed instructions, please visit the Part-time Studies Withdrawals page.Top
Is my registration fee refunded if I cancel?
Yes, if you write to Part-time Registration at the Burnaby or Downtown Campus before the deadline. Gravity more about refunds for a course in Part-time Studies.Top
Any advice about planning my next course?
The course outline you received from your instructor shows you the names of programs in which the credits for your course apply. Other courses in the same program may interest you. If so, they're probably the best choice. Related credits are the quickest route to completing all the requirements for a
Part-time Studies Program Advisors can help you make the most of being a part-time student. They can help you:
- find the part-time programs that best fit your career goals
- select courses and plan programs
- efficiently apply for program approval or make changes to an approved program
- apply for course credit
If you're already interested in a particular program, Ask an Advisor can probably help answer your top-of-mind questions.Top